Sunday, September 19, 2004

More on Burkina. . .

Well I stand corrected on Ouagadougou, though it is most definitely a dusty town, it is not so small. One of the gift shop owners at my hotel who spoke English showed me around on his moped. The capital city is making moves to transform itself into a modern metropolis. We rode out to the edge of town where a "new city" is being developed and constructed. I asked Salam, my guide, who will live here? He said Burkinabes, officials and politicians, rich people.

While in Ouaga, I met a woman from Serbia, Kaja. She in turn introduced me to several other people who were in town for a UN Development conference. I met a Sudanese man and talked with him about the conflicts in Darfour. I met a Nicaraguan man, a woman living in Morroco, a man living in Tanzania and Kaja's boyfriend living in Tanzania. All very interesting conversations. I feel I know a little more about a lot of places.

I didn't do much else in Ouaga before I moved onto Ouahigouya, a small town before the border to Mali.

No comments: